Barn Raising: Renovations Begin On New Ambulance Corps Building
● By Rebecca K. Abma
Bolger Barn Before
Progress is under way on the renovations at the new Ambulance Corps building and Bolger Community Center at 471 Godwin Ave. The 100-year-old building, donated by the Bolger Foundation, has been stripped down to its hand-hewn beams and will emerge as a state-of-the-art certified green building upon completion later this year.
On Jan. 10, Philanthropist David Bolger and project officials came together for the ceremonial ground breaking. Construction began in mid-April.
The Bolger Foundation reportedly purchased the building for $800,000 and will spend an additional $1.5 million for the renovations. Last month, the borough council passed a resolution to reimburse the Bolger Foundation for construction fees of $19,000.
According to a Suburban News report by Lynn Bruggemann, the history of the building in unclear, however, a building marked "stable" appears in the vicinity of the current barn in the C. Wortendyke Manufacturing Co. area on the 1876 Bergen County atlas. Just south of the barn was the Granite Textile Mill, which opened in 1848 and operated until 1884, when the company’s silk mill was sold to James. S. Elliot and became the Elliot Granite Linen Mill.
For updates on the project, "Like" the Midland Park Volunteer Ambulance Corps Facebook page.