Support MPK Press, Spread the Word
By Rebecca K. Abma
Through vigilance in reporting on municipal meetings and persistence in addressing issues, MPK Press has worked to affect change for the betterment of the community. MPK Press seeks to expand into other communities in Northwest Bergen County by partnering with other former Patch editors and seeks funding for site maintenance, design work, equipment and freelance reporters.
To do that, we need your help. We've started an indigogo fundraising campaign. Here's more details about the campaign
What We Need & What You Get
To sustain coverage of Midland Park while expanding to other nearby communities, we need to pay for freelance reporting. MPK Press is powered by one extremely dedicated report/editor/publisher who does not collect a salary. We are asking for $5,000 seed money to cover costs. Here's where the money will be spent:
- Site infrastructure: $1,500 covers three months of site costs, including subscriptions for CMS, software, Livestream, text alert service.
- Design Work: $500 for logo and rebranding
- Fees and Taxes: $500. Indigogo earns 4% commission on fully funded campaigns or 9% on non fully funded campaigns. All funds received are considered taxable income.
- In the event that we exceed our goal, all money will go toward additional freelance reporting costs. If we do not reach our goal, we will cut back on design work and freelance costs.
In the nine months since MPK Press began, more than 10,0000 unique viewers have visited. The site has grown to exceed 10,000 page views per month, with close to 1,000 articles posted. The site has opened lines of communication in Midland Park to endure the public is informed in the following ways:
- Livestreaming council and Board of Education meetings
- Providing detailed Editor's Notebooks of public meetings
- Introducing a text alert notification service for readers and advertisers
- Bringing Public Notices online
- Creating a comprehensive community calendar where individuals and organizations can easily post their own events.
In addition, MPK Press has worked to bring revival to borough organizations, including the Chamber of Commerce and the Friends of the Library.
Other Ways You Can Help
We understand some people can't afford to fund the expansion of our news service, but there are other ways you can help spread the word.