Barn Renovations Earn Green Award
By Rebecca K. Abma
The new cupola has been placed on the Bolger Community Center and Ambulance Corps HQ.
The renovation project, which was awarded in the Not-For-Profit – Commercial Space category, was designed by Peter Wells Architects of Park Ridge and is a "wonderful combination of philanthropy, preservation and green building design," the green council reports.
Once complete, the new building will meet the Leadership in Energy & Environmental Design (LEED) program standards, and uses environmental friendly materials, energy-efficient lighting and water-saving landscaping.
The 100-year-old building, that was donated by the Bolger Foundation, was stripped down to its hand-hewn beams in the spring and completely rebuilt. Recently a glistening cupola was set in place as workers put down a new roof. The Bolger Foundation reportedly purchased the building for $800,000 and will spend an additional $1.5 million for the renovations.The project is expected to be completed next year.
The barn's history is unclear, however, a building marked "stable" on 1876 Bergen County atlas near the C. Wortendyke Manufacturing Co. Just south of the barn was the Granite Textile Mill, which opened in 1848 and operated until 1884, when the company’s silk mill was sold to James. S. Elliot and became the Elliot Granite Linen Mill.
For updates on the project, "Like" the Midland Park Volunteer Ambulance Corps Facebook page.
Barn Raising: Renovations Begin On New Ambulance Corps Building - 05/08/2013