Skip to main content

Midland Park

Candle May Have Sparked New Year's Day Fire

01/02/2014 12:47PM ● By Rebecca K. Abma
Wednesday morning's fire in a Midland Park apartment house has been ruled accidental, according Midland Park Fire Chief Mark McCombs. The four-family home on the corner of Paterson and Godwin avenues was left uninhabitable, with severe fire damage on the west corner of the home and smoke and water damage throughout the 100-year old building. 

"We believe it was caused by a candle left unattended in a first floor bedroom," McCombs told Midland Park Press. When fire fighters arrived on the scene, the room was engulfed in flames that were climbing the outside of the home.

Two residents were sent to Valley Hospital for treatment for smoke inhalation. One was admitted over night for burns on her nasal passages and throat and was released on Thursday. 

All seven residents have been displaced by the fire. Councilwoman Nancy Peet is coordinating a clothing drive for the victims: Three men and four women. One woman wears a size 10 or Large clothing and a size 10 shoe. The sizes of the other residents are unknown.

Donations of gently used, winter clothing can be dropped off at Borough Hall, 280 Godwin Ave. Winter coats can also be donated as part of the annual winter coat drive, with collection sites at Borough Hall, the Midland Park Memorial Library, 250 Godwin Ave., and the DePhillips Center on Dairy Street. Any donations that cannot be used will be donated to DARE, Peet said. 

Fire, police and ambulance from Ho-Ho-Kus, Waldwick and Wyckoff assisted with fighting the blaze, while mutual aid from Franklin Lakes, Fair Lawn and Oakland covered the Midland Park Fire Station and covered another fire alarm on Paterson Avenue. 

It was the first structure fire in Midland Park in several years, officials noted. 

 
Repost This
Upcoming Events Near You

No Events in the next 21 days.